Fall has arrived with a renewal of my passion for fashion. I nearly cried when I first touched that fall bible of international style, the revered “September Issue” of American Vogue. My heart pounded when I browsed the stores and saw what I could buy, if only I could justify when I would wear all of that! I cleaned my closet (now we KNOW something’s afoot for sure). Philanthropic tip: donate your dated clothing to Between Friends, a Toronto area charity that trucks it to northern communities that don’t have a Goodwill or Salvation Army on every other corner.
I tried to limit my choices to five, but I couldn’t!
Now to begin the terrific task of refilling my closet judiciously in such a way as to distill the essence of my top ten favourite trends!
Top ten trends:
1. Oversized black and white houndstooth Houndstooth is a fantastic timeless trend that you will never really have to throw away if you spend your hard-earned dollars on it. But this year, it is raging! It doesn’t need to be black and white, but b&w is best because it goes with anything.
You can get a new piece of houndstooth clothing. Or, you can get the effect with a well-chosen accessory such as a scarf, shoes or bag. I am lucky enough to already have in my closet this loud ‘n proud handbag, and if I put it with all black, or any combination of black, white and electric blue, I will be right on trend.
2. Black leather leggings I am thrilled to say that I already have a pair of these on hand. (Thanks to my sister!) This trend has been going on for some time but I would say that black leather leggings have quickly become such a fashion classic that they have a few good years’ wear in them and would be a great thing to purchase now if I didn’t already have them. Can’t wait to pair them with white shirts, blue denim-type shirts, electric blue and all manner of oversized blouses.
Style tip: When you wear narrow on the bottom, wear loose and breezy on top. When you wear snug and sexy on top, balance it with loose and casual on the bottom. This keeps it classy and is a basic style principle that will keep you from making a bad fashion statement.
3. Blue denim shirts I went crazy for this trend in the spring, and am still crazy! I picked up this blue linen-blend denim-look shirt at Banana Republic. They put everything on sale every week, so how could I not, I ask you?
4. Red! Every fall, tastemakers declare red to be the new black, or something like that. It is as regular as the nautical look coming in for spring! However, THIS year is truly different. First of all, red lipstick, and not just as a runway matter. People are really wearing it; even try two-toned lips as in these photos:
Are we seeing an influence from The Hunger Games?
Another thing about red: red pants! My favourite is this gorgeous Marciano ad where it is paired with a girly pink furry jacket I would die for. Red with pink! It’s true love and you can pull it out for Christmas and Valentine’s day every year after. What a deal.
Last, but definitely not least, deeper red leather pants, jeans, and leather jackets. I am gonna point you straight to good ol’ H&M for this trend, because they are overflowing with red leather and leatherette, in the best of styles.
5. Black sheer blouses Mom says “no” but I say “yeah”! I have yet to find the perfect specimen, but do intend to wear it with trend no. 2, above, when I do! Tell me if you find anything like this:
6. Chunky white Fisherman-Knit style sweaters Michael Kors, you just know what a woman wants, and you did it again. Kors is not the only designer brightening fall with this cozy look. Anyone who finds a knock-off that’s really affordable, let me know in the comments section, below.
7. Scent of a Man Who doesn’t love the sultry smell of a sexy guy? If you don’t have one of your own, just wear his fragrance and you will feel the subconscious sense that you have him with you all the time. I love to wear Old Spice Playmaker, and to spray Banana Republic Wildblue on my pillow (don’t tell my mom).
8. Snake motifs Last year, snakeskin was all over skirts, belts and pants as a print. My favourite place to wear a snake is as a bracelet. It subtly implies that you have a snake wrapped around your wrist and would be waaaaaaaaaay more comfortable than this:
This 1981 photo does prove, however, the timelessness of wearing snake.
9. Overscale Crosses These can be worn as jewelry, on a long necklace, or as a motif on a shirt. Nobody assume anything religious if I wear this trend: it’s all about style, sort of like Christmas is all about Santa!
10. Vera Wang I don’t care if she’s not new for fall. Her wedding dresses are both an art form, and a condition of my future marriage. Her dresses are on my top fall trends list regardless!
If you are looking to elevate your instinct for fashion this week, take note of the 175th Anniversary Celebration Friday, September 6 at Holt Renfrew, 50 Bloor Street West, Toronto.
Follow me on Instagram @something_cliche and tell me your favourite fall 2012 trends in the comments area, below.